Pink Hydrangeas


"You are the beat of my heart..." Supposedly, these words were used to describe the pink hydrangea by a celebrated Asian florist, Tan Yun Yong. The full quote is more elaborate: "The light delicate blush of the petals reminds me of a beating heart, while the size could only match the heart of the sender!" (Source


I have a fondness for hydrangeas though I've never grown them. I have a painting in my home that features hydrangeas as well as a print. For today's post, I collected a bunch of photos featured below. But I've included my personal favorite here. I love how lush yet how delicate these flowers are. They are almost too much. The Victorians must have thought so as well because one of the meanings they assigned to hydrangeas was 'boastful'.

To read more about how to choose, grow and care for hydrangeas, check out this blog on Plant Care Today!

FunFacts about Hydrangeas (Source)
  • The hydrangea plant and flower is also commonly known as hortensia.
  • Hydrangeas are native to the Americas and to Asia, especially Japan, China, Korea, the Himalayas and Indonesia.
  • The flowers are produced from early spring to late autumn.
  • Hydrangeas can be both evergreen and deciduous.
  • Most plants are shrubs but some are small trees.
  • Hydrangeas have two flower arrangements commonly known as ‘mophead’ and ‘lacecap’.
  • Most hydrangea species are white. But with certain species, especially H. macrophylla and H. serrata cultivars, the color can be changed by the acidic or alkaline levels in the soil. Blue and purple flowers need an acidic soil while pink and red require an alkaline soil.
  • Hydrangeas are moderately toxic but the roots and rhizomes are used in herbal treatments.













I hope you enjoyed today's blog!
Have a wonderful day and the best week ever!
Hugs,
Valerie Bosna
     Writing As...
     Caris Roane
     Valerie King
      Eliot Wilde

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bruges Belgium

Tuscany