Machu Picchu

Machu Picchu

This world renowned landmark is a fascinating ancient Inca estate located high in the Andes Mountains of Peru. I'd heard the name 'Machu Picchu' many times, but I didn't have a mental picture associated with the name. All I knew was that it was in the mountains somewhere in the
world. Yes, I'm always amazed at how much I don't know and how much there is to learn.
As I was cruising Pixabay this past weekend, I saw the famous landmark and I immediately recognized the ancient ruins. When I saw the name, it was a big a-ha! Finally, the name and the place came together: Machu Picchu. I'll be curious to see how many of you have a similar experience. 

Machu Picchu is at almost 8000 feet. When I look at the nature of the terrain as well as the altitude, I'm stunned at what was created around this extraordinary peak of the Andes. Like the rice terraces of Banaue, Machu Picchu is a feat of engineering. Some of the photos will show the steepness of the relatively small citadel. It is a UNESCO World Heritage site, a landmark or area recognized by the United Nations Educational Scientific Organization as having significance for humanity and therefore protected by international treaties.

  • Machu Picchu is an iconic representation of Incan civilization. Archaeologists believe it was created in the 1400s for the Inca Emperor Pachacuti.
  • When the Spaniards arrived in the 1500s, they never learned of the existence of Machu Picchu. One conjecture as to why is that the inhabitants may have died of small pox brought into Peru by the conquistadors.
  • For centuries, the world had no idea Machu Picchu even existed.
  • In 1911, an American historian, Hiram Bingham, was exploring the area in search of the old Inca capitol. A local farmer took him to the ruins which were covered in jungle growth. Bingham set about restoring the site.
  • There are approximately 200 buildings on the site on wide parallel terraces to allow for steep hillside construction.
  • Architecture: “The central buildings use the classical Inca architectural style of polished dry-stone walls of regular shape. The Incas were masters of this technique, called ashlar, in which blocks of stone are cut to fit together tightly without mortar.” (Source)











I hope you enjoyed today's blog!
Have a wonderful day and the best week ever!
Hugs,
Valerie Bosna
     Writing As...
     Caris Roane
     Valerie King
     Eliot Wilde

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pink Hydrangeas

Bruges Belgium

Tuscany